Every day, a conventional legal practice interacts with a large amount of data. Files over files get piled up every day and cumulate in a corner, without being properly discovered analysed and organized. In fact, disorganized or unstructured data makes up 80% of the materials that legal businesses deal with on a daily basis!
Disorganized or Unstructured Data in Law Firms grows exponentially with time, to the point that can become nearly impossible to organize and store all information properly. But how can your Law firm deal with this issue in a time and cost-effective way?
We would go over the different forms of disorganized paperwork, the challenges of dealing with this issue, and the tech-based solutions and innovations that can help you manage it.
Does my firm have any disorganized data?
Any information that doesn’t have a pre-defined data model or isn’t structured in a pre-defined way is considered disorganized or unstructured data. Conversations histories, user evaluations, emails, PDF documents, videos, photos, and more are all examples of such paperwork.
This data is usually unusable until it is processed further, although it may contain useful information. For that matter, it is imperative for law firms to start giving these documents a structure as soon as possible as they will continue to pile up.
Here are some roadblocks that a law firm will encounter if they don’t address the issue proactively:
1. A bigger and never-ending growing pile of data
Disorganized or unstructured data will never stop as you work on more cases and recollect for information to build it. This will eventually become more difficult to handle making the task of storing and analysing a very tedious and time-consuming one. As a result, the only option to overcome such a barrier is to invest in an automated system that can process massive amounts of data.
2. Irrelevant and poor quality documents taking a lot of space
Because of their large volume and irregular patterns, distinguishing high-quality disorganized data from irrelevant data can be a massive headache. For example, a law company wanting to improve its digital marketing techniques may not find all Facebook status updates, photos, or audio-visuals useful.
3. Important data can be stored insecurely and at risk
Most likely, your legal firm’s backup window isn’t large enough to handle incremental data protection when new files arise. This may compel you to make a difficult decision about which data to save and which to discard. Because cybercriminals are continually on the lookout for new chances, this exposes your company to the danger of data theft or breach in the long run.
4. Some of the data may not be analysed with conventional Systems
Traditional databases are only designed to store and organize structured data and are prepared to do so. This is because unstructured data comes in a variety of random formats that may not fit into standard systems’ rigidity. As a result, a more sophisticated system capable of locating, retrieving, organizing, and storing data is required.
However, not everything is bad news
Many Law Firms are unable to see the significant opportunity for growth in a law business that organizing this data brings. It is a great start to re-evaluate the processes and filling system in place, give a structure to such processes, as well as to evaluate different tech options that would help with the organization or even better, help the firm to go paperless altogether avoiding this issue completely, permanently.
The most effective way for Managing disorganized or unstructured data is to adopt new technology. Let the bots do the hard work for you, and save you some time and money!
Your law business can use a variety of software technology solutions to store, organize, and handle unstructured data. Here are a couple of suggestions of tools that you can use to solve this issue:
1. Short term solution: Use Cloud storage systems
Cloud storage is becoming a more viable solution to many common computing problems especially related to the secure storage of valuable data.
Some of the benefits of using a cloud solution for your firm are listed below:
- Live backups of files
- Unlimited storage space
- Helps improve computer speed
- Access files from anywhere
OneDrive, best free/cost-effective option
Under the Microsoft 365 suite, OneDrive is another outstanding cloud-based file storage solution. A built-in data classification tool in the storage solution automates the regrouping of disorganized data for easy storage and management. OneDrive can also spot data containing personally identifiable information (PII) or other sensitive information.
Key Benefits and Features of OneDrive
- Without using device storage, you may access all of your data in OneDrive.
- You may share files with anyone who has access to OneDrive, and you can collaborate as a team.
- OneDrive’s intelligent discovery tool allows you to find the most relevant stuff.
- Co-authoring in real time is possible with OneDrive.
- It includes data loss prevention (DLP), which secures your data while also keeping you compliant.
2. Long-term solution: Use Thread Legal Case Management Software in combination with the complete Microsoft 365 suite.
Thread is the world’s only cloud based legal case management software fully built on Microsoft. Thread has built-in all the Microsoft tools that you already use in one place, including OneDrive.
Thread is built for Legal, therefore, all functionalities built in the software are thought to help your law firm not only organize and securely store data but it is a complete solution to manage your complete practice more effectively. Data is indexed for maximum visibility and stored within Microsoft Azure, the most certified data centre in the world and gives you multiple layers of security compared to OneDrive.
Our software tracks unstructured data sets and records the time they trickle in to extract maximum insights from them and store them in the most secure way.
Thread Unique Features and Capabilities:
- You can access your data from any internet-connected device.
- Full Microsoft 365 package built in the software (Word, Excel, PPP, etc)
- Documents and events get backed up to the cloud and auto-saved across various devices.
- Create Booklets and Legal Briefs by categorising documents into folders as you work on the file.
- Data is stored within Microsoft Azure for maximum security.
- Time recording, Key dates, Task Management tools.
- Determine who has access to your data with Access Control & Permissions.
- Smart search your entire system, with any simple word, phrase or number.
- Emails and email responses are automatically tracked and saved into files.
There You Go!
Disorganized or unstructured data sets may keep expanding, be inconsistent, and physically tiring to organize. But one thing’s for sure; they can’t beat the efficiency of the best Legal Case Management Software in the market.
If you are thinking about a more comprehensive and long term solution for your problems, Thread Legal Case Management Software is your best option. Organize, file, securely store and effortlessly find all your disorganized and unstructured data with us!
Join our listSign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers.
"*" indicates required fields